The Treatments

After I was diagnosed with vulvodynia, my doctor gave me plenty of options to try. I read countless articles online, from those who had no cure whatsoever, to those who recently had surgery and had a possible cure. It didn't seem as if there was much hope. I even joined a forum site where women would talk to each other about their triumphs and successes, and their struggles and NO curability. It scared me. I began trying each cream. From numbing cream, to a cream called Premarin to help the inflammation go down. Nothing helped. I was starting to become completely hopeless. I went to my same doctor for a few months now, and though she was very friendly and knowledgeable, it seemed like she was a little bit hopeless for me. 

After she had exhausted all of her options, she referred me to a doctor named Dr. Watts in Salt Lake City, Utah. Immediately, I had a good feeling. I'd always believed in the Holy Ghost, and I did have a pretty great feeling around me. I made an appointment to meet with Dr. Watts and went, with my mother in tow, to support me. Dr. Watts explained many wonderful things. He touched me around the opening of my vagina with a q-tip, and asked, "Does this hurt?" I nodded, with my eyes clenched tight in excruciating pain. After the little test, he barely touched my arm with the q-tip and said, "This is how lightly I was touching you. You have a pretty severe case of vulvodynia. It seems as if we've tried most of our options and I would say that it's time for surgery." I sighed, simply because from day 1, I always believed I would have surgery down there. Dr. Watts continued to tell me that he did around 15 surgeries a week, most of them in the hospital. He told me he had 90% success rate with this surgery. I quickly glanced at my mom, gave her a quick smile, and glanced back at my doctor. This was it. We were getting some help. 

Before leaving, Dr. Watts took my hand, looked me straight into the eyes, and said, "We're going to fix this. We'll find a cure."  After leaving, my mom and I looked at each other, and instantly started bawling. It was quite the experience. We both knew this was the doctor. We both had high hopes & we were both so excited to try something that had a very high success rate.

I was getting a vestibulectomy. I scheduled the date then and there. I got the pricing since my insurance didn't cover it. And I loved Dr. Watts. Lots of tears were shed. There was a whole lot of happiness & hope I had inside of my heart.